It’s time to
make Shell history.
Every year in May, shareholders of Royal Dutch Shell meet in Scheveningen (The Hague), for the Annual General Meeting (AGM).
The AGM is where the company fulfills its legal duties: approving the Annual Report and discussing the plans for the following year. It is where they openly decide to carry on their destructive business-as-usual.
In the midst of a climate emergency, the last thing we need is shareholders of an oil giant meeting to discuss how they are going to maximise their profits.
We say no more! May this shareholders meeting be the last one ever held! Let’s make 2020 the first year without Shell AGM!
- DISMANTLE SHELL by any legal, economic political means necessary
- provide a JUST TRANSITION for the workers in the fossil industry
- ensure REPARATIONS for impacted communities and ecosystems
- build a decentralised and socialised ENERGY DEMOCRACY for all
What is codeROOD? Who is behind this?
- codeROOD is a cooperation between people who together battle the fossil fuel industry and its power. This means all forms of oil, gas and coal. The most important thing these people share is that climate breakdown and the damages caused by the fossil fuel industry cannot be stopped with just individual actions. We take action against corporations who are responsible for extracting, transporting and burning fossil fuels. We also come into action against governments who let this happen freely.
- codeROOD takes civil disobedience to the masses by making it visible and palpable. This happens by openly announcing the action day and by mobilizing nationally and internationally. codeROOD helps local communities who experience the direct effects of the extraction of fossil fuels. codeROOD stands in solidarity with other movements against the fossil fuel industry and climate change and other forms of injustice, extortion, repression and discrimination.
What’s up with targeting the AGM? I thought codeROOD was all about infrastructure!
- Climate emergency demands more than reactive interventions at the sites of injustice and destruction. We are now moving upstream, where the crisis is being willfully perpetuated.
- Technically speaking, the AGM is part of the legal infrastructure for publicly traded multinational corporations. It’s not a trade show or a cocktail party — to hold an AGM is their legal obligation to operate as a company.
- Towards and in 2020, we intend to escalate our actions by proactively targeting sites of decision and power of the fossil fuel industry to generate an inescapable political crisis.
Aren’t there already so many anti-Shell campaigns going on? What are you adding to this?
- There is indeed great momentum against Shell: from frontline resistance and court cases, to exposing tax evasion and obscene profits, there are many ways to make life hell for Shell.
- We are inspired by and would like to contribute to the success of these campaigns. A mass disobedient offensive can help converge and amplify our diversity of tactics.
Is it even possible to ‘cancel’ an AGM? Can’t they simply change the date and location of the AGM last minute?
- They are legally obliged to physically meet in the Netherlands, and a change of location must be announced in advance. We are committed to re-evaluate and adapt our plans if necessary.
Say you managed to disrupt considerably the AGM. What then?
- If shareholders can’t vote, financial decisions and operations of the company will be affected. This will also damage the company’s reputation —Shell will become a risky asset.
- Our ambition should be nothing less than simultaneously disrupting their decision making, eroding their market value and public image, and emboldening the opposition to Shell.
Don’t you think that Shell, with its army of lawyers, lobbyists and spin doctors won’t just get away with it?
- Due to the endless efforts of countless dedicated people around the world, every year, the opposition to Shell grows faster than their profits. It seems to us that the time is ripe to shift public opinion for an all-out offensive against Shell and for climate justice.
- That said, we are aware that we cannot achieve this alone. Our aim is to build a diverse and inclusive platform to bring down Shell by any legal, political and economic means necessary. We call all our allies in the Climate Justice movement and intersecting struggles, in the Netherlands and across the world, to join us in this project.
Impacted communities get the chance to voice their grievances at the AGM. Aren’t you doing them a disservice by canceling it?
- Quite the opposite — our goal is to amplify the voice of frontline communities by creating a spectacular controversy around the very legitimacy of the AGM.
- We intend to work with communities affected by Shell (in Groningen, Nigeria, Alberta…) at every stage of the mobilisation process.
- We have stronger resolve than ever to stand in solidarity at the frontlines and defend people and planet against extractivism.
Where does the name Shell Must Fall come from?
- The campaign title Shell Must Fall is a tribute to the South-African Rhodes Must Fall and Fees Must Fall campaigns, in which students demanded the decolonisation of the education system and large-scale social and economic transformations, with the aim of tackling deep rooted racism, inequality and injustice. The fossil giant Shell is built on similar colonial structures and aggregates existing inequalities and (climate) racism. This must end. The Shell Must Fall campaign fights for a systemic transformation in solidarity with the student-activists from the campaigns in South Africa.
I wanna make Shell history.
Tell me what to do!
We are building a great coalition to dismantle Shell. Join us by leaving your details below
Overal in de wereld zien we een sterke opkomst van klimaatbewegingen met name onder jongeren. Jonge vrouwen spelen daarin de hoofdrol. Welke strategieën kunnen deze bewegingen gebruiken om de klimaatcrisis te bestrijden en te zorgen dat de kosten daarvan zo eerlijk mogelijk worden verdeeld. Wat zijn de (mogelijke) bondgenoten, wat is de rol van de vakbeweging, van de overheid, van het bedrijfsleven. Welke actievormen zijn het meest effectief. Dat zijn vragen die aan de orde komen in het Grenzeloos gesprek…Find out more »
In the last week of January we are taking action against Shell all over the country. You can organize your own action or join an existing action. In the run-up to the action week, visit one of our info evenings and invite your friends to come with you! Fossil giant Shell is having a devastating impact everywhere: from the Rotterdam harbor to the Isla refinery in Curacao; from the gas-induced earthquakes in the Groningen countryside to The Hague, where Shell…Find out more »
Shell will announce on the 30th how much profit they made off of the climate crisis last year. Join us on the 29th of January at 16:00 at the Beursplein in Amsterdam to show what the really accomplished the last quarter: fire in Australia, floods in Jakarta and Venice and so forth. With this action you can lend a hand to help portray Shell's dirty contributions to the climate crisis. The image of this event is of the Fossil Free…Find out more »
As Australia burns and Indonesia is facing the most extreme floods in years, Shell keeps on digging for fossil fuels and making profits by its destructive practices. Research by Fossielvrij NL has shown that the University of Amsterdam also has oil on its hands since they still work together with Shell in various ways. That is why on January 30, we will call on the University of Amsterdam to break their ties with Shell! This action is part of the…Find out more »
The fourteenth edition of the yearly 2.Dh5 festival is coming to BAK basis voor actuele kunst, Utrecht on 1-2 February 2020, with the theme “Defeating Dystopia?” Society is being disintegrated by ecological, economic and social crises and the extreme right and techno-dystopian reaction to these developments. For the oppressed and exploited our current reality is already a dystopia. Nonetheless, if current trends continue, as seems to be the case, this situation will only deteriorate further. “The probability of apocalypse soon…Find out more »
Do you want to know more about Shell Must Fall and how you can contribute to the end of Shell? Come Tuesday evening 4 February to Vreemde Streken in Wageningen! There is no space for profit-craving, unaccountable shareholders of a fossil multinational on a burning planet! This is the reason we take action in May 2020, to block and disrupt Shell's annual shareholders meeting in The Hague. We demand the end of Shell's era; a just transition for workers; reparations…Find out more »
There is no space for profit-craving, unaccountable shareholders of a fossil multinational on a burning planet! This is the reason we take action in May 2020, to block and disrupt Shell's annual shareholders meeting in The Hague. We demand the end of Shell's era; a just transition for workers; reparations for affected communities and ecosystems, and a socialised energy democracy for everyone. Research by Fossielvrij NL has shown that the University of Amsterdam also has oil on its hands since…Find out more »
Wil je meer weten over de Shell Must Fall! campagne en leren over hoe je betrokken kan raken? Elke donderdag van de maand kun je je bij ons aansluiten bij de Climate Justice Voku bij de Volkskamer🔥! Van 18:30-19:30 hebben we een inloopuur waar je: 👉 met ons kan praten 👉 iets kan drinken 👉 heerlijk van op donatie-gebaseerd eten kan genieten wat geserveerd wordt vanaf 19:00 De Climate justice Voku's hosten we samen met onze vrienden van ASEED Europe. Deze…Find out more »
👉 Let's talk about Royal Dutch Shell 👈 Do you want to help dismantle the largest fossil multination of the Netherlands? Join us on Saturday the 8th of February at the Making Shell Fall summit in Den Haag. On this day we will update you on the action plans, there will be room for input and discussion and there will be ways to join Shell Must Fall! Programme: 10.00 walk in + coffee & tea 11.00 – 11.30 introduction 11.30…Find out more »
The action is getting closer and we are taking up speed in our preparations to make Shell fall! Join us for this call to get the latest updates on: 🔥 The SMF action plans and how you can take part! 🔥 Travel & Accommodation for the SMF action 🔥 How to help with international mobilisation for the SMF action 🔥 Program of the Future Beyond Shell Summit Looking forward to see many of you online. On the day of the…Find out more »
**HELP WANTED** On the shareholdersmeeting in may, we are going to make Shell fall with actions and a big action camp, because #ShellMustFall💪! However, this camp doesn’t organise itself, and that’s why the Logistics team needs your help! 🔥Would you also like to help with safely accommodate activists from all over Europe, and empower them to take part in this amazing action? Then come this evening and join the Shell Must Fall team!! Together, we make Shell history. Location: We…Find out more »
On 16 & 17 May 2020, let's come together in The Hague (NL) for a meeting for stakeholders, not shareholders! Go to the Summit website to learn more about the Conference & Cultural Programme, Report Publication and People's Assembly. Check out our partner organisations and FAQ. And please sign up to get updates and to get involved!Find out more »
With a mass action we will block, disrupt and cancel the Shell shareholders meeting (the Shell AGM). We are building a great movement to dismantle Shell, by any political, legal and economic means necessary and this mass action is part of that. Block Shell for climate justice! We call for a just transition for workers; reparations for impacted communities and ecosystems and a decentralised and socialised energy democracy for all. It's time to make Shell history. Let's go. #ShellMustFallFind out more »