On the 25th of April, a few dozen activists of We Stop Coal blocked the Engie coal power station in Rotterdam (here you can see how). This week, we disrupted the Flame conference in Amsterdam – Europe’s largest conference on natural gas – in an action called ‘Flame over’. Gas is not a transition fuel. It is a dangerous fossil fuel that should stay in the ground, just like coal. During the upcoming months, we call for more actions against fossil giants in oil, gas and coal. On the 21st of May, we will attend Shell’s annual shareholders meeting to make a statement on our new campaign Shell Must Fall. In June, we will travel again to Germany’s coal mines again to join the mass civil disobedience actions of Ende Gelände. Join us! In this newsletter we explain how!
21 MAY SHELL ANNUAL GENERAL SHAREHOLDERS MEETING
Every year in May, shareholders of Royal Dutch Shell meet in
Scheveningen (The Hague), for the Annual General Meeting (AGM). During
the AGM they discuss the Annual Report and agree on plans for the
following year. Together with the board of the company, shareholders
fulfill a series of legal duties and carry on their destructive
Due to the endless efforts of countless dedicated people around the world, every year, the opposition to Shell grows faster than their profits:
• In what has been described as “an unmitigated defeat for big oil”, Shell abandoned its controversial drilling operations in the Arctic in 2015 – thanks to Greenpeace Internationaland other groups.
• Currently Shell is facing several historic lawsuits for its horrific crimes against humanity and nature (#ogoni9 & Klimaatzaak).
• Groninger Bodem Beweging and the people in Groningen who suffer the consequences of gas extraction are standing up and were supported by a mass blockade of NAM/Shell infrastructure organised by Code Rood last year.
• Fossil Free Culture NL has succeeded in liberating several institutions from Shell sponsorship.
• Fossielvrij Onderwijs Den Haag defeated Shell in its home base, forcing the company to move its greenwashing festival “Generation Discover” out of The Hague.
• And just last month our comrades from Extinction Rebellion NL occupied and glued themselves to the Shell headquarters in The Hague.
It seems to us like the time is ripe for an all-out offensive against Shell and for climate justice. Code Rood will mark this 2019 shareholder meeting by launching its 2020 Declaration, to be delivered both inside and outside the AGM. We invite you to join us for a new beginning — because there is so much to look forward to.
Do you want to know more? See you on the 21st between 11 and 13 hrs in front of the Circustheater in Scheveningen. Dresscode: overalls / boiler suits. Follow Facebook for more information.
ENDE GELANDE – 19-24 JUNE 2019
From 19 til 24 June, the German coalition Ende Geländeorganises civil disobedient actions against the lignite indsutrie in the Rheinland area. And it is becoming a tradition by now: Code Rood, Groenfront! and ASEED organise the Dutch participation in Ende Gelände. We are organising busses and action trainings ahead of the action. The busses will depart on Wednesday (19 June) and Thursday (20 June) in the evening, most likely from Amsterdam, Utrecht and Nijmegen. More information can be found at this website. And we recommend you keep an eye on facebook as well!
VOLUNTEERS AND DONATIONS
In these hectic times, we are always looking for extra hands. Do you want to become active? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
But you can also support climate justice from behind your computer.
Tell the people around you about Code Rood and how they can support!
Donations are also always welcome: NL55 TRIO 0388 6023 80 t.n.v. Steungroep NVDA.
Power to the people!